WISLI Tuition Scholarship
WISLI Tuition Scholarships cover full payment of tuition for language study at APTLI, CESSI, SASLI, SEASSI, SIPI or the Intensive Summer Multilanguage Seminar in summer 2021. For more details and to apply, go to the WISLI Tuition Scholarship page.
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
Visit flas.wisc.edu or your home institute FLAS office regarding FLAS summer fellowships.
Applications for FLAS for summer 2021 have closed. The application deadline for summer 2021 was February 15.
Boren Awards Regional Flagship Language Initiatives
Boren Awards Regional Flagship Language Initiatives offer undergraduate Boren Scholars and graduate Boren Fellows carefully-selected, credit-bearing language courses during the summer (domestic) and fall (overseas), with the option to continue overseas study into the spring.
In 2020, University of Wisconsin Madison was awarded the Indonesian Flagship Language Initiative (IFLI) for the study of Indonesian, the South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative (SAFLI) for the study of Hindi or Urdu, and the Turkish Flagship Language Initiative (TURFLI). These programs bring students to UW-Madison for a fully funded intensive language study at the Wisconsin Intensive Summer Language Institutes (WISLI). Students will then continue their studies overseas in India (SAFLI), Indonesia (IFLI), or Azerbaijan (TURFLI) during the fall semester.
Applications for summer 2021 were due on January 27, 2021 for graduate students and February 3, 2021 for undergraduate students.
Beginner language students typically meet the ILR 1+/2 level of proficiency (Intermediate High to Advanced Low) by the end of their program.
Summer Language Institutes Funding Pages
- Arabic, Persian, and Turkish Language Institute (APTLI)
- Central Eurasian Studies Summer Institute (CESSI)
- South Asia Summer Language Institute (SASLI)
- Southeast Asian Studies Summer Institute (SEASSI)
- Summer Intensive Portuguese Institute (SIPI)
UW-Madison Summer Term
Visit the UW-Madison Summer Term website for information on scholarship opportunities, including:
- UW-Madison Undergraduate Scholarship for Summer Study (available to UW-Madison undergraduate degree-seeking students)
- Summer Housing Boost (available to both UW-Madison students and visiting students)
Other Resources for Funding
Below is a list of databases that students can search on an individual basis in order to find funding opportunities that would best fit their situation.
- Pivot: Offers several databases for approximately 25,000 private and federal funding sources. Grants in the non-science areas are included. (Note: You must set up a personal login account using a wisc.edu email – free to UW-Madison clientele – through the COS Workbench feature for some of the COS Pivot services, however, a login is not necessary to use the database.)
The following Research Guides provide information on potential funding opportunities for
- Undergraduate study, and undergraduate study at UW-Madison.
- Graduate study.
- International students.
- Resources for those who are not currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program.
Students are also encouraged to check with their home departments and their campus financial aid office for help in identifying other funding opportunities.