WISLI is pleased to offer the WISLI Tuition Scholarship, which covers full payment of tuition for language study at APTLI, CESSI, SASLI, SEASSI or SIPI in summer 2020. The purpose of the WISLI Tuition Scholarship is to broaden support for learning less commonly taught languages.
The WISLI Tuition Scholarship covers the tuition and segregated fees for summer 2020 language study at one of the WISLI summer language institutes.
The WISLI Tuition Scholarship does not cover expenses such as textbooks, living expenses, housing, incidentals, travel or other costs. International students are required to have UW–Madison approved health insurance coverage, and may need to enroll in the UW Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) if not able to get a waiver. Students who have not previously attended UW–Madison will be charged a one-time official document fee of $65.00.
All applicants to a WISLI summer language institute are eligible to apply for a WISLI Tuition Scholarship, including:
- Domestic and international students
- Students in degree programs at UW-Madison and students from other institutions of higher learning, such as community colleges
- Adult lifelong learners and non-degree seeking students
To apply for a WISLI Tuition Scholarship:
- Complete the WISLI Tuition Scholarship application form (PDF) (Microsoft Word)
- Submit a one-page (approximately 500 words) statement of purpose describing your intended personal/academic/professional goals and the broader impact of these goals for language study at a WISLI Institute.
- Provide two letters of recommendation (directly to the WISLI Director or in conjunction with your Institute application).
WISLI Tuition Scholarship applications are due by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, April 1, 2020, to be considered for summer 2020. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all application materials are complete and submitted on time. For applications to CESSI after the February 1, 2020 priority deadline, applicants should first contact WISLI Director, Dr. Felecia Lucht, before applying to check on the availability of scholarships.
Priority will be given to applicants who are otherwise not eligible for other funding opportunities available through the summer language institutes. Preference will be given to language learners at beginning levels, but students at intermediate and advanced levels are also encouraged to apply.
Because of limited funds available, not all qualified applicants can be awarded WISLI Tuition Scholarships. See the WISLI funding page for additional resources and suggestions for identifying other funding sources for language study.
AWARD NOTIFICATION AND ACCEPTANCE
CESSI recipients will be notified on a rolling basis. Those offered an award must indicate acceptance by the date stated on the award letter. Those who have not indicated accepted by the deadline stated on the award letter will automatically have the offer withdrawn.
Once a student is accepted by their summer language institute and enrolled in their language courses for summer 2020, the WISLI Tuition Scholarship will be applied directly to tuition costs.
Students who accept the WISLI Tuition Scholarship are expected to complete the entire 8-week program with a passing grade.
Contact your Institute directly for questions about applying to the Institute for language study:
- Arabic, Persian, and Turkish Language Institute (APTLI)
- Central Eurasian Studies Summer Institute (CESSI)
- South Asia Summer Language Institute (SASLI)
- Southeast Asian Studies Summer Institute (SEASSI):
- Summer Intensive Portuguese Institute (SIPI)
Contact the WISLI Director Dr. Felecia Lucht for questions about the WISLI Tuition Scholarship.
WISLI Tuition Scholarships are available through the generous support of the International Division’s Office of the Dean. Learn more about the International Division at international.wisc.edu.