WISLI is pleased to offer the WISLI Tuition Scholarship, which covers full payment of tuition for language study at APTLI, CESSI, SASLI, SEASSI, SIPI or the Intensive Summer Multilanguage Seminar in summer 2021. The purpose of the WISLI Tuition Scholarship is to broaden support for learning less commonly taught languages.
WISLI Tuition Scholarship application for summer 2021 is closed. The deadline to apply was March 15, 2021.
The WISLI Tuition Scholarship covers the tuition and segregated fees for summer 2021 language study at one of the WISLI summer language institutes.
The WISLI Tuition Scholarship does not cover expenses such as textbooks, living expenses, housing, incidentals, travel or other costs. International students are required to have UW–Madison approved health insurance coverage, and may need to enroll in the UW Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) if not able to get a waiver. Students who have not previously attended UW–Madison will be charged a one-time official document fee of $130.00.
All applicants to a WISLI summer language institute are eligible to apply for a WISLI Tuition Scholarship, including:
- Domestic and international students
- Students in degree programs at UW-Madison and students from other institutions of higher learning, such as community colleges
- Adult lifelong learners and non-degree seeking students
Priority will be given to applicants who are otherwise not eligible for other funding opportunities available through the summer language institutes. Preference will be given to language learners at beginning levels, but students at intermediate and advanced levels are also encouraged to apply.
Because of limited funds available, not all qualified applicants can be awarded WISLI Tuition Scholarships. See the WISLI funding page for additional resources and suggestions for identifying other funding sources for language study.
To apply for a WISLI Tuition Scholarship:
- Complete the WISLI Tuition Scholarship application form.
- Submit a one-page (approximately 500 words) statement of purpose describing your intended personal/academic/professional goals and the broader impact of these goals for language study at a WISLI Institute.
- Provide two letters of recommendation (directly to the WISLI Director or in conjunction with your Institute application).
Applicants must complete separate applications if applying for a WISI Tuition Scholarship in multiple languages hosted at different Institutions. If you are applying to multiple languages within the same Institution, please address that where indicated on your application.
WISLI Tuition Scholarship application deadline for summer 2021 is March 15, 2021. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all application materials are complete and submitted on time.
Students should expect to receive information regarding the status of their scholarship by late April. (Please note: CESSI recipients will be notified on a rolling basis. CESSI applicants should contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions) Those offered an award must indicate acceptance by the date stated on the award letter. Those who have not indicated accepted by the deadline stated on the award letter will automatically have the offer withdrawn.
Once a student is accepted by their summer language institute and enrolled in their language courses for summer 2021, the WISLI Tuition Scholarship will be applied directly to tuition costs.
Students who accept the WISLI Tuition Scholarship are expected to complete the entire 8-week program with a passing grade.
Contact your Institute directly for questions about applying to the Institute for language study:
- Arabic, Persian, and Turkish Language Institute (APTLI)
- Central Eurasian Studies Summer Institute (CESSI)
- South Asia Summer Language Institute (SASLI)
- Southeast Asian Studies Summer Institute (SEASSI)
- Summer Intensive Portuguese Institute (SIPI)
- Intensive Summer Multilanguage Seminar (via WISLI)
Contact the WISLI Director Dr. Felecia Lucht for questions about the WISLI Tuition Scholarship.
WISLI Tuition Scholarships are available through the generous support of the International Division’s Office of the Dean. Learn more about the International Division at international.wisc.edu.