PROGRAM DATES: June 14-August 6, 2021
Courses to be held in a virtual format for Summer 2021 with plans to return to in-person instruction in Summer 2022
The University of Wisconsin–Madison’s Wisconsin Intensive Summer Language Institutes (WISLI) will again offer expert instruction in less commonly taught languages in 2021! The rigorous programming of WISLI allows participants to gain two semesters of language learning in just 8 weeks.
Programs are being planned for a virtual format, giving undergraduates, graduates, faculty, staff, instructors, as well as professionals from the private and public sectors options to grow their language and cultural fluency. This format gives ample opportunities for cultural activities, language practice in social settings, and interactions with partners and in groups. In this virtual environment, each language program will still carry the high-level of rigor that allows participants to make significant gains in less commonly taught languages.
- WISLI 2021 Instructional Plan (PDF)
- WISLI Internet Connectivity Support
- WISLI Wellness Worksheet (PDF)
- WISLI 2021 Resources
WISLI is still accepting applications! You can find each Institute’s application below. More information about programming will be posted at wisli.wisc.edu. In addition, there are numerous funding opportunities available, which can also be found on the WISLI website.
Language offerings for 2021
Arabic, Bengali, Brazilian Portuguese, Burmese, Filipino, Gujarati, Hindi, Hmong, Indonesian, Kazakh, Khmer, Lao, Marathi, Pashto, Persian, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Sinhala, Tajik, Tamil, Thai, Tibetan, Turkish, Urdu, Uyghur, Uzbek, Vietnamese
Additional language study opportunities available through the Intensive Summer Multilanguage Seminar.
Benefits of choosing WISLI
- Bring your language skills to the next level.
- Whether you are a complete beginner or advanced in your studies, there are options to fit your goals.
- Forge a career path by participating in WISLI’s Less Commonly Taught Languages Career Fair (lctlcareers.wisc.edu), featuring leaders and representatives from government, businesses, NGOs, and other industry employers.
- Grown your network as you learn alongside participants from across the U.S. and globally.