International Students

Steps to attend WISLI as an international student

  1. Show that you have funds to cover the full cost of your tuition, room, board and health insurance
  2. Obtain an I-20 from UW Madison
  3. Obtain an F-1 Visa (Please apply early to WISLI to allow time for visa processing)

International Student Services (ISS) is a helpful resource for additional information for UW-Madison international students:

Health Insurance

The University of Wisconsin-Madison has mandated that all international students and their dependents residing in this country be enrolled in the UW-Madison’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).  The cost of SHIP insurance is available on the SHIP website.

For more information on SHIP, visit:


International students must obtain an F-1 Visa in order to attend WISLI. International participants are encouraged to apply early to WISLI to allow enough time for visa processing. (Note: The entry process for Canadian citizens is different than for citizens of other countries.)  For the F-1 visa you will need a document issued by UW-Madison called an “I-20.”  UW-Madison can produce this document for you, but you will first need to show that you have adequate funds to cover the full cost of your tuition, as well as room, board and health insurance. International students will need to show financial support for room, board and health insurance (amount varies by program).  Please contact WISLI for information regarding where to send your financial support documentation.  UW-Madison will then be able to issue the I-20 for you.  Once you receive our I-20 you will need to apply for the F-1 visa stamp at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.  You will need to provide evidence of financial support as soon as possible, as it can take several months to complete all these steps.  F-1 visa holders may enter the U.S. 30 days before the start of their WISLI program and could stay as long as 60 days after the program ends.