Instructors, please see the following announcement for two professional development opportunities from The Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA) at the University of Minnesota.
- Amplifying Asian Voices in Curriculum Design and Instruction: This webinar will introduce the topic of integrating Asian Voices into world language education. The presenter will begin with some research findings from a recent publication on teaching for social justice in Chinese language education and will then describe a framework to inspire teachers of all world languages to consider when and how to amplify Asian Voices in curriculum design and instruction. The webinar will end with some suggestions for educators to continue diversifying Asian Voices in the landscape of world language education.
- Thursday, February 9, 2023, 12:00–12:45 p.m CT
- Online: Register for the Zoom link
- Be Like Water: Amplifying Asian Voices in Language Education with Flexibility and Resilience: This workshop develops skills to integrate and amplify Asian Voices in world language education. Participants will co-construct the definition and constituents of Asian Voices, and navigate when, where, what, who, and how to strengthen Asian representation in teaching. The presenter will discuss research findings in recent publications to address some concerns and challenges encountered by world language teachers, and then share a framework to inspire language teachers to enhance Asian representation with pedagogical flexibility and emotional resilience. Participants will be engaged by examining examples and developing their own teaching plans using backward design.
- Friday, February 17, 2023, 10:00–01:45 p.m CT
- Online: Complete this Registration Form