CESSI is now accepting language instructor applications for summer 2023! The deadline to apply is January 9, 2023. We greatly appreciate your hard work and dedication to CESSI in previous years and would love to have you join us for CESSI 2023. You can find the Position Vacancy Listing here. Please find the job description below.
The Central Eurasian Studies Summer Institute (CESSI) is an eight-week intensive language institute that offers courses in Kazakh, Tajik, Uyghur, and Uzbek languages annually from mid-June through mid-August. Courses in Azerbaijani or Kyrgyz may be added in summer 2023 if there is sufficient student interest. The 2023 CESSI program will be held from June 19 through August 11 and will be preceded by a staff orientation week from June 12-16, 2023. CESSI is a member of the Wisconsin Intensive Summer Language Institutes (WISLI).
Language instructors will be responsible for participating in the CESSI staff orientation week activities as well as instructor meetings throughout the eight-week program. Under the supervision of the WISLI director, CESSI instructors will be expected to:
1. Teach one of the following Central Eurasian languages at the elementary, intermediate, or advanced level in an eight-week intensive summer format: Azerbaijani, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Tajik, Uyghur, or Uzbek. Classes are four hours a day, five days a week.
2. Prepare syllabus, lesson plans, and teaching materials; prepare, administer, and grade classroom and homework assignments and exams; and hold office hours a minimum of 2 hours per week with availability to meet students additionally upon request.
3. Prepare teaching materials for assigned language and course-level for future use at CESSI.
4. Participate in weekly staff meetings and all sessions of pedagogy workshops organized by CESSI and WISLI, in addition to the assigned teaching and preparation of teaching materials.
5. Attend CESSI lecture series and participate in cultural events.
6. Demonstrate ability to work well and closely with other instructors and other CESSI staff.
7. Contribute to the development of a supportive and collegial intensive environment.
More information about CESSI can be found on the CESSI website here.
This appointment is for summer 2023 only. There is no presumption of reappointment.
If you have any questions about CESSI or this position, please feel free to email email@example.com.